MADISON, Wis. — August 20, 2013 — Beloit Mindset List authors introduced the 16th annual Mindset List today via webcast using Mediasite by Sonic Foundry, Inc. (NASDAQ: SOFO), the trusted leader for video content management and webcasting solutions, giving the world a look at the cultural touchstones that have shaped the lives of this year’s incoming college freshmen.
The webcast is now available at www.sonicfoundry.com/mindsetwebcast.
Each August since 1998, Beloit College has released the Mindset List. Created by Beloit’s Keefer Professor of the Humanities Tom McBride and Emeritus Public Affairs Director Ron Nief, the list originally served as a reminder to faculty to be aware of dated references. However, it quickly became an international touchstone of the rapidly changing worldview of each new college generation. The Mindset List website at www.beloit.edu and the companion Mediasite webcast receive more than 1 million hits annually.
Some of the authors’ favorite facts about the class of 2017, born in 1995, include:
- As they started to crawl, so did the news across the bottom of the television screen.
- Having a chat has seldom involved talking.
- Eminem and LL Cool J could show up at parents’ weekend.
- Gaga has never been baby talk.
- They have known only two presidents.
- They have never attended a concert in a smoke-filled arena.
- The U.S. has always been trying to figure out which side to back in Middle East conflicts.
- A Wiki has always been a cooperative web application rather than a shuttle bus in Hawaii.
- Washington, D.C. tour buses have never been able to drive in front of the White House.
- Their parents’ car CD player is so ancient and embarrassing.
- Jurassic Park has always had rides and snack bars, not free-range triceratops and velociraptors.
“The Mindset List Project has developed a fruitful relationship with Sonic Foundry. We can’t imagine a more professional group to help us get our message out about changing generations,” McBride said.
Nief and McBride will share their thoughts in a free webinar, “Understanding the Mindset of the Modern Student” at 11 a.m. Central on Sept. 24. To register, visit www.sonicfoundry.com/MindsetWebinar.
“Gaga and LL Cool J references and statements like ‘today’s incoming freshmen have always been able to sell old toys on eBay’ aren’t trivial. We believe it’s crucial to know the mentality of students to fully understand their needs and the consumer of the learning tools we create,” said Sean Brown, vice president of Sonic Foundry. “The Mindset List puts into perspective the culture of today’s student, and we’re proud to partner with the creators of this list to help them spread the word via webcast about their widely-anticipated report.”
Trusted by 1,200 colleges and universities, the patented Mediasite webcasting and video content management system quickly and cost-effectively automates the capture, management, delivery and search of live and on-demand videos and rich media.
About Sonic Foundry®, Inc.
Sonic Foundry (NASDAQ: SOFO) is the global leader for video capture, management and streaming solutions as well as virtual and hybrid events. Trusted by thousands of educational institutions, corporations, health organizations and government entities in over 65 countries, Sonic Foundry’s solutions include Mediasite®, Mediasite Connect, Vidable™ and Global Learning Exchange™.
© 2022 Sonic Foundry, Inc. Product and service names mentioned herein are the trademarks of Sonic Foundry, Inc. or their respective owners.